My name is Matt Kreiling. A compulsive learner, writer, and explainer – I value playing fields that let everyone play.
When I think of an ideal world, I think of a world where anyone can join the great conversation of life. I’ve come to believe that this means finding in ourselves the confidence, clarity, and creative skills to tell our stories as well as the patience, humility, and compassion to listen to each other.
My fascinations lie in finding ways to learn, decide, create, and communicate.
The projects I am most passionate about are about cultivating a space in my community – and the world – that encourages confidence, clarity, self-examination and creativity.
You can check out my resume here.
Below are some brief descriptions of the kinds of projects that get me going in the morning.
- Seat@theTable Writing – If everyone has a seat at the table, everyone can join the conversation. Everyday, information is exchanged that decides our fate. Sometimes we have the confidence to make ourselves heard, the clarity to make ourselves understood, and a story that makes people listen. Whether you are writing a letter to the editor, discussing the features and benefits of your newest invention, applying for a job or scholarship, outlining your first novel, or creating some quality content for your website – I want to help. Practically anything having to do with writing – I’m your man.
- Dream Job Workshop – Partly as a result of my work for DreamingRight and my research for the How to Decide book, I have uncovered a variety of techniques, tips, and tools that have completely transformed the way I hunt for a job.
- How To Decide – I am obsessed with new discoveries in psychology, cognitive neuroscience, and economics that shine light into the often misunderstood workings of our decision-making processes. So I am writing a book about it. The most important thing I’ve learned so far: We aren’t hardwired to make ourselves happy. Don’t believe me? Just check out the stumbling blocks section of “100 Things About Happiness”.
- Poetry – Pomes come when poet’s hum. I have published a few zines of my own poems and a one-off limited printing of a poetry journal called Hyperbole. I make two kinds of poesy – slow and fast. The fast poems are best when they converse with other poets or grow from constraint. The slow poems are heartfelt things, image lingerers, muse.
- Play Art – The other art I create is often transitory and spontaneous, like the fast poems, with no thought to the end product. As a result, the end products are usually more satisfying all together. Play Art consists of paper-cutting, collage, crayon art, piano-banging, drum-banging, and sculpture.
- Gardening – Watching things grow out of the dirt that you put there! What could be better?…Eating those things. My girlfriend and I blog about our gardening adventures.
- Sailing – Maintaining an object in such a way that the wind blows you to where you want to go.
- Listening – To music, friends, lectures, audiobooks, radio programs.
- Making Money – Obviously, all these projects need $. Or at the very least, the time to pursue. To that end, I continue to seek out my dream job and research new entrepreneurial possibilities.